The success of any educational process depends on numerous factors. We’re talking not only about the student’s abilities but also on the learning environment. Being in a noisy room, it is quite difficult to concentrate on the task – we will consider the stages of creating a research place, as well as the principles of its functioning.
Types of Study Spaces
Before you begin to build your own alma mater, you should pay attention to the already existing places. They are designed to absorb new knowledge. These include:
- A library is ideally designed to find the declared material and concentration. Most of them are divided into zones by noise level, it is allowed to speak in full voice only in a certain place. Add to this silence the space with books, computers, and archives. In order not to greet acquaintances every five minutes, select a site that is least attractive to visitors.
- Academic buildings are not only great for preparation. They have real laboratories dedicated to a separate scientific field. In such departments, you can find rare specimens associated with a particular item or issue, and in addition, such places contribute to moral schooling for future testing as the exams. You will learn to fight with a sense of anxiety and educate strong willpower.
- The campus may be a focal point for potential study places – the choice is yours. It can be a tree planted on the territory or a chair in the dining room – you should feel a comfort, working on a serious problem.
- Outside the campus, science and accurate education also exist. Some learners write the best essays while sitting in their favorite cafe with a cup of cocoa: soft lighting, lack of visitors, and comfortable sofas stimulate creative impulses.
Tips for Creating a Study Space in Your Room
You have become acquainted with possible options within the college. If after a long meditation, you decided that they are not suitable for the flight of thought, let’s focus on own efforts. You are going to convert a room into a dormitory or a bedroom, however, it is worth thinking about the availability of a separate study cabinet. The process itself includes the next elements:
- Getting rid of distractions: in your training space, there should not be video games, strangers or plates with snacks. It is advisable to refuse from the mobile phone; if this is not possible, select a silent mode. Remove from the desktop tabs are not relevant to learning, especially links to social networks. Your assignment is to maximize own attention with the least effort – you cannot cope if you fill the room with fun and bright things.
- Access to necessary goods: One of the must-have items is a comfortable ergonomic chair since you will spend most of your time at the table. Take care of the health of your back and lower back – it is worth remembering about the laptop and e-books with loaded manuals if they are necessary for work.
Think about the paper to write your ideas or plan the day. A similar procedure does not allow you to dissipate into extraneous thoughts. Stationery should be in the appropriate organizer: do not scatter them around the number; you will not only lose a lot of time searching, but you can get injured.
If you are working on a complex project, acquire tactile means of thinking. By mechanically picking up a cube, your brain gets a powerful charge of energy. Clean drinking water, green tea, and healthy snacks are also mandatory components. Intellectual activity takes a lot of effort – that’s why you have to maintain the sugar level in the norm.
- Excellent lighting, as a rule, implies the arrival of daylight: Place your table near the window for getting enough sun; if this is not the case, buy a good table lamp for improving the situation. Do not strain your eyesight to read the line in the book. Optimum is a combination of wall sconces or a light eave with a reflected light and a separate luminaire directly above the working area, but it is best to combine light sources above the desktop.
- Experiments with room temperature: Too hot or cold atmosphere distracts you from work, which leads to an increase in the number of errors. In conformity with the research, the highest productivity is observed in the range of 22-degree C to 25-degree C. It is not always possible to adjust the indicators rightly. In this situation, you should find a more favourable environment.
When starting to work, ensure that the computer is in working order, while your pen is writing. If you do not check, you will have extra chores. Maintain the purity of your learning space although if the disorder stimulates your creative thinking form chaos. It all depends on your personal preferences. For example, if you are blogging, you should have all the best blogging tools in place. The same applies to the study as well, and you should have the required books, pen, pencils, etc. in place.
If there is no space for a separate rack, you can do with hanging shelves. It should be hung at eye level – where you have to put those books that you use most often. Educational literature should be near the desk, otherwise, you may proceed to the other end of the room and quickly switch to more interesting activities.
It is desirable that the furniture was made of natural materials – be sure to pay attention to the product certificate. Plastic items are unsafe because of possible evaporation of harmful substances. If the table is located near the wall without a window, then it can accommodate a tissue organizer with a large number of pockets, which perfectly fit office supplies and other small things.
Do not forget about breaks every 40 minutes. The brain cannot be in constant tension, like other organs; give them some time to increase attention; do not try to build the best place to study on the planet. Firstly, you should experience comfort and enjoyment while in the room. In order not to be unfounded, we give examples of such spaces.
The computer software developer Martin prefers minimalism, spotlighting, and a corner for meditation – his monitor is always at eye level to protect the neck from stress. Unlike him, Thomas decorated his space with a huge amount of audio equipment – lighting and temperature are controlled by special tools. Here you can see two monitors for editing video files and audio materials.
Naturally, not all of us may boast of their own office or cabinet. You are able to use an example of a portable space – one of the college students easily transforms an empty lecture hall into his office on weekends. A loft bed is another way to cope with the limitations of scale – the presence of such a piece of furniture greatly frees up space for the table or bookshelf. We have an ideal option within the hostel or dormitory.
Thus, there is no universal recipe for creating a study space at home or in college – it all hinges on your tastes and possibilities. Keep in mind that such a place should not distract you from learning; it should be suitable for concentration